Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Rendezvous

This is a POEM about the complexity of a clandestine relationship.

I can bare-
ly remember what we
said between the moment
you pulled off your
shoes at my door

And raced down the stairs
With your hands in the air, screaming
I don’t care I don’t care I don’t care!

Lunch break wasn't long enough
to confirm the truth of the love
you came here to witness and express, manifest, maybe
yes,

to confirm.
But by coming here, to me, so close we were
both exposed
To gestures, mere gestures, confessing our volumes of doubt
Concerning this thing called love.

I think it was doubt that made us sure
Of what we needed to show and how

To stick together

Since we are friends,
romantics at heart, really, whose
hackneyed script is G-rated
for our audience,

and since, for all intents
And purposes
love is like a
good,

I swear
I believe

It would never tear us apart,
don’t
You agree that we can communicate sublime,
Or at least
That sometimes we have
A long and poetic way of saying a simple yes
Or simple no,

of forgetting all our cares for the moment?

No comments:

Post a Comment